Once the snow flies it is easy to assume that the sneakers for outdoor runs must be hung up for another year. However, if you play your cards right, you can still log a few miles over the next few months in a safe and fun way.
Here are a few tips to keep you pounding the pavement, (or snow banks) during the winter months.
1. Don’t go for speed. One of the biggest safety issues with winter running is the slippery footing. The last thing you want to do is slip and fall, ending up with a head injury or broken bone. Shorten your stride and leave the speed workouts for an indoor track.
2. Add some traction. Nowadays you can buy rubber grippers that attach to the bottom of your runners to give you that extra bit of grip and dig into the icy roads. This small investment can save you from falling and hurting yourself.
3. Make friends with layers. Start with a base layer that wicks the sweat away from your body, follow with a mid layer to trap warmth, and then end with an outer layer that is windproof. This will keep you feeling comfortable in the chilliest of climates.
4. Plan your route. Opt for shorter laps around your house, giving you a chance to call it quits if it does get too cold.
5. Take a cell phone with you. This way if you do run into trouble you won’t be putting yourself in any danger by being exposed to the elements longer than you need to be.
6. Cover your head. 50% of body heat is lost through your head, so be sure to cover it with a good hat.
7. Protect the “goods”. Guys, invest in a good wind brief to protect the nether regions.
8. Invest in a good face mask. It isn’t possible to freeze the lungs, but if you find the cold air uncomfortable, you can get some really good face masks that help.
9. Cover up. Cover all exposed areas with lotion or a product called Body Glide. This will help prevent frostbite.
10. Be aware. Hpothermia (a drop in core temperature) can be fatal, so keep an eye on yourself and your friends too. Look for symptoms like an incoherent, slurred speech, clumsy fingers and poor coordination. If you notice your friends having problems get to a warm place immediately.
Greg’s Shakeology Recipe of the Month:
Pumpkin Pie Shake!!
Get your pumpkin pie fix with this tasty recipe!
1 c water or almond milk
1 scoop chocolate Shakeology
1/4 cup Pumpkin Puree
1/2 tsp Cinnamon or Pumpkin Pie Spice
Blend & Enjoy!
Not Getting Support from your Family or Friends?
Even though we’re excited for our weight loss and fitness journey, not everyone ‘get’s it’. Some might think we’re crazy, and outright tell us that. Hearing our friends doubt our goals or our ability to succeed can throw a monkey wrench into our self-confidence, sewing the seeds of self-doubt too.
It is important to constantly embrace the reasons why we’re going on this journey in the first place. Why
is it important to be healthy? Take time every day to imagine how it will feel to have achieved your goals and remind yourself of your ability to do great things. Those who doubt you or don’t support your journey have their own issues to deal with, and may lack the self-confidence they need to achieve their own goals. This ultimately manifests itself in their outward criticism of others.
Stay the course, and you will reach your destination.
Check out this sneak peak video
Happy Holidays and welcome to December! The Thanksgiving holiday’s are now behind us, and I hope your diet did not suffer too badly. I heard that the average person can pick up 5-10 pounds during the holidays! If we even pick up 5 pounds a year, it’s easy to see how people can gain 50 pounds over time. Beachbody is working hard to reverse this trend, by providing us with new and exciting workouts every year, plus the most nutritious meal replacement shake on the market. This is an exciting month, because on December 10th, the long awaited P90X3 is being released!
If you order the P90X3 challenge pack between 12/10 – 12/31 you can save BIG! The challenge pack will be on sale for only $180 (originally $205), plus you get Shakeology, club membership, and free coach sign up (if interested, a $40 value). So basically you will save on the bundle, plus Beachbody gives super savings on the shipping (only $2). Additionally if you order the P90X3 challenge pack in December, you will receive a P90X3 hat and bonus CD.
Here are 10 facts about the new P90X3:
1. All workouts are only 30 minutes long. This program is based on science that suggests the first 30 minutes is the most effective part of any exercise routine, so we accelerate the workouts to create the most effective 30 minute routine
2. There is a separate warm-up disk called Cold Start if you need a longer warm-up due to environment, time of day, etc
3. P90X3 is a separate program from P90X and P90X2, not a harder version. Nor do you need to complete P90X or P90X2 before starting P90X3
4. The nutrition plan goes back to nutrition basics of Power 90 and healthy eating
5. There are 16 workouts in the P90X3 base System including Pilates, CVX: Cardiovascular Extreme (a Cardio workout with weights), MMX (a Mixed Martial Arts Extreme), Agility X, Isometrics,
6. And yes, Yoga is still part of the program, but it’s only 30 minutes
7. There are 4 schedules in X3: classic, lean, doubles, and bulk
8. 39 out of 40 people in the Test group lost 10% of their body fat %!!!!! (Whoa! How awesome is that?!)
9. Equipment needed will include weights or bands (a pull-up bars is great like in P90X, but optional)
10. Every move in X3 has a Beginner/Modified, In between move, and Challenging/Hard
Also I will be launching an P90X3 Mega challenge group on Facebook for everyone doing P90X3. It will be starting on December 30th, but everyone is welcome to join in regardless of when you start in December or January. There will be tons of support and motivation, and there will be hundreds of dollars in prizes! So if you are interested in this program and you want to join my P90X3 online support group, then please contact me today and I’ll add you to my list.
P90X3: Want to know more?
Your Whole Workout in Half the Time
If you just started an exercise plan or are getting your butt in gear by working out All good things come in threes, but be warned: P90X3 is far from a trilogy. No, P90X3 is NOT the kid sister workout. It’s the workout that took notes from it’s siblings, then condensed, and accelerated to become the most dynamic and fastest workout yet.
All good things come in threes, but be warned: P90X3 is far from a trilogy. No, P90X3 is NOT the kid sister workout. It’s the workout that took notes from it’s siblings, then condensed, and accelerated to become the most dynamic and fastest workout yet.
The ultimate excuse buster Time is the biggest excuse. P90X3 solves that. Every workout is 30 minutes and the clock starts the minute you push play. Before you can say “drop and give me 10,” it’s over and you are one workout closer to the six-pack of your dreams.
Muscle acceleration explained Many P90X fans were hooked on the science of muscle confusion – which introduced variety to the workouts and prevented plateauing. P90X3 takes a hint from that success and from studies showing the most dramatic body transformations happen within the first 30 minutes of exercise. Enter muscle acceleration, a Tony Horton-approved highly-structured schedule with an incredibly high level of intensity and an unprecedented variety of moves. The gurus behind P90X3 combined exercises and added some twists to maximize your time and keep every muscle challenged for a full 30 minutes.
Say goodbye to boredom Which brings us to the fun-factor. Host, world-renown fitness legend, Tony Horton does not disappoint. With his witty one-liners and can-do mantras, he’ll simultaneously have you laughing and fired-up to bust out that final rep. Along with the constant entertainment, P90X3 has the most workouts of any Beachbody program. With 16 workouts in the base kit, they switch it up before you have a chance to consider boredom. From cardio to strength to pilates to MMX, there is something for everyone.
The ideal P90X3-er It may seem lofty to proclaim, but P90X3 is indeed a workout for everyone. Everyone searching for tighter abs and leaner muscles, that is. But fitness novices and experts need not be afraid by P90X3’s come-one-come-all invitation. You don’t have to have any previous P90X experience in order to get killer results. For the beginner, the variety of workouts in P90X3 is the perfect place to discover their fitness style. If the move can be modified there is a cast member showing you how. But don’t expect to be an expert on day one. (Yes, fitness veterans will still be challenged.) As Tony says, “You don’t get off easy, you just get to finish faster!”
It doesn’t stop there And of course there are some bells and whistles too, if you purchase P90X3 through ME you receive an exclusive P90X3 baseball cap. What better way to spread the word about this revolutionary program?
P90X3 Is going to be Released on Tuesday December 10th, 2013!
What are the P90X3 Workouts?
For starters, each workout in the 20 workout set is 30 minutes. Just like Shaun T’s T25, the idea here is to condense the amount of time you spend every day while still getting absolutely amazing results, guaranteed. Workout efficiency! There is a reason it’s called P90X3 “Accelerated”!
Here’s an updated run down of the workouts found on the DVD’s-
CVX- Cardio Vascular Extreme- Basically, cardiovascular workouts with weights or medicine balls. Exercises aimed at improving balance and range of motion.
MMX- Mark Briggs inspired, MMA style workout routines
Ab Ripper X3
Agility X (get low and MOVE)
Warrior Workouts (preview was given at the leadership event in California- AWESOME!)
Try-ometrics (think plyometrics, X3 style!)
Isometrics- alternating between upper and lower body movements.
What equipment will I need for P90X3?
Just like P90X and P90X2, you’ll likely need the following equipment and gear to be successful with P90X3-
Cross trainer shoes- shoes that give you side-to-side stability, unlike running shoes!
Variably sized dumbbells, or resistance bands
A pull up bar
A yoga mat
Medicine ball/stability ball
Don’t forget- modifications will be available for those of you without all the P90X3 needed equipment. No excuses!
Should I buy P90X3? Is it right for me?
YES. P90X3 gives you options with the FOUR different schedules included with your program.
Classic– Go through the program in a classic all-around fashion. Think of this as the jack of all trades schedule.
Lean– This is for those of you who are looking to mainly lose fat.
Doubles– This is for the extreme athletes that insist on a full hour of daily training. 2 workouts per day.
Mass– This is for the men and women that want to gain muscle mass. This is new to the P90X family, and should be an excellent option for those people who have already lost the weight, and now want to pack on the real beef!
Interested? For the best deal, contact me today by replying to this email.